On Thursday evening last week I attended a fab online workshop to learn screen printing. I ordered a screen printing kit via The Indytute website (https://www.indytute.com/), which was designed by Print Club London (https://printclublondon.com/). The Indytute offers fab craft kits along with other home experiences and I quite often browse the website if I’m looking for something a little different to try. I decided to try this one as I saw them advertising it on Instagram along with a free workshop worth £20. The kit itself costs £54.95, so I thought this was a great opportunity!
Included in the kit was:
- Wood framed screen
- Black fabric ink
- Wooden spatulas x2
- Vinyl templates
You had to provide your own fabric to print on and they recommended t-shirts, tote bags or tea towels. I found a tote bag which was blank on one side that I didn’t mind experimenting with, so I just used that. The vinyl templates provided in the kit were great. There was one with a blank rectangle which could be used to create a design of your own choice or there were loads of pre-cut shapes to choose from including a speech bubble, the alphabet, stars and other cosmic shapes. I had actually had a migraine on the day of the workshop so thought I would just watch the demo and then log off, but once I was there I decided to join in. The workshop was hosted by Vicky from Bristol Print Collective (https://www.bristolprintcollective.com/) who ran through how to do each stage of the screen printing process before we all tried out our own designs whilst she was on hand for any questions or troubleshooting.
I decided to keep my design quite basic to start with using the speech bubble and some letters. It was important to remember to create the design back to front on the outside of the screen so that when you placed it over your work with the inside facing up, the word would be spelt the right way round. I had a trial go on some paper before I moved onto the tote bag.
I found that as the design was quite large it was harder to flood it with the ink before pulling the final print onto the chosen surface. I think this led to me over-inking as I didn’t want to have any gaps and on both my paper trial and the final print on my tote I did get a bit of ink squeezing out the edge of my design. I’m so pleased with how clearly the letters came out though.
I’m glad I made the effort to craft along with everyone else even though I wasn’t feeling great. It was loads of fun and so easy to do. I can see how you could get quite addicted to printing onto things! The only rubbish bit was washing everything up at the end!