It’s been all about the creepy crawlies with MakeBox this month with their ‘Bugs in a Box’ paper craft kit (https://www.makebox.co/shop/product/3142494719). The kit was a collaboration with Sarah Louise Matthews, a paper engineer and paper cut designer (http://sarahlouisematthews.com/). As well as cutting there was also instructions for folding techniques to create marvellous 3D insects.
Included in the box was:
- Selection of coloured paper and card
- Cutting mat
- Metal ruler
- Paper templates
The first project was to create a bug display made up of a moth, a patterned beetle and a winged beetle. Although the moth was flat, it was still a complicated piece with a lot of tiny pieces to glue on. Both the beetles had 3D elements that really brought them to life.
There was a piece of card to mount them on when they were finished, however a frame was not included in the kit. I happened to have a box frame which was square so I put my backing paper in and glued the bugs on inside the frame to make sure I got the positioning right, as they are positioned for a portrait style frame in the photographs in the instruction booklet. I definitely think getting a frame is a good idea as it gives them a really polished finish and means you can display you work, rather than just leaving it to gather dust in a drawer!
The second project was a pop-up bee card. I really enjoyed this project because I’ve always wanted to have a go at making a card in this style. The bee itself was very delicate and I was worried the whole time that I would make a mistake and cut through a part I wasn’t meant to, but there was enough card for a second attempt if I had gone wrong. Luckily I managed to only cut where I was supposed to. I think the bee would have been lovely as it was, but there were additional wings to cut out and stick on, giving it even more of a 3D feel. I just need to decide what to put on the front of the card now so I can send it to someone!
I thought this whole box was very well curated. All the tools were good quality and there was plenty of spare paper if you made a mistake or wanted to make extras. I found that I mainly skim read the instructions and instead followed the photographs for each step as they clearly showed how to construct the bugs.