craft kit · subscription box

Craftiosity – Paper Flower Bouquet

The theme for the July Craftiosity box (https://craftiosity.co.uk/) was a paper flower bouquet. I have to say that I wasn’t very excited about this project as I have made paper flowers quite recently, however once I opened the box I found that rather than tissue paper these flowers were made with card, so although the process was very similar it was nice to work with a different material to produce a different effect in the end product.

Included in the box was:

  • Sheets of coloured A5 paper
  • Paper templates
  • Wire stems
  • Stamens
  • Florist tape
  • Glue stick
  • Vase

I really liked the addition of the vase in the kit as I often wonder how to display my craft projects and this provides the perfect solution!

There were four types of flowers to make: eucalyptus, anemone, craspedia, and tulip. All of the flowers followed the same basic process of cutting out the leaves and petals using the template, wrapping the stem with florist tape and then using the tape to attach the various components of each flower, with some help from the glue. Of course each flower had slightly different methods within that process to achieve the right effect. 

I had no trouble at all with the first three flowers, however I really struggled with the tulips. To start with the instructions said to make two flowers out of the white glitter paper but I just couldn’t find a way to fit all the petal templates onto one sheet of paper in order to cut out the correct amount of petals for each flower. In the end I just cut out enough for one and then cut the second set from some of the pale pink left over from the anemones. In the end I might as well not have bothered because I had to abandon the making of the tulips. I don’t often leave craft projects unfinished as I like to see things through to the end once I’ve started them, but I just could not get the petals to sit correctly, to meet at the top or glue together. I don’t know if it’s just the hot weather we’ve been having but I found the whole thing extremely frustrating and spent so much time manoeuvring the petals to try and get them to behave that they started to rip at the base where they were attached to the stem, so in the end I thought it would be best to leave them. After all, crafting is supposed to be good for your mental health and this was just making me cross! I have saved all the bits so hopefully I will be able to come back to them at a later date when I’m feeling a bit more patient, and the weather is cooler!

One thing I did like about this project was the way that the flowers were put together. The flowers and leaves either had small holes cut into them to slot straight onto the stem or they were held in place with the florist tape, so there was minimal waiting for glue to dry. I particularly liked the craspedias which, although fiddly, were certainly satisfying to put together, creating that little ball of yellow from strips of paper.

Overall I enjoyed this project and am really pleased with my little vase of flowers sitting on the dining table, which I don’t have to remember to water!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s