craft kit · subscription box

Sugar Plum Fairy MakeBox

This weekend I’ve been making the Sugar Plum Fairy for the top of my Christmas tree from the December MakeBox (https://www.makebox.co/). I was really looking forward to this box as I’m quite a big fan of festive things. The fairy is a lovely product, although I did have a few tricky moments whilst making it along the way!

Included in the box was:

  • Pink linen
  • White canvas fabric
  • Tulle
  • Silver glitter felt sheet
  • Embroidery threads
  • Embroidery hoop
  • Stuffing
  • Ball of yarn
  • Fabric glue
  • Dowel rod
  • Pins
  • Needle
  • Pattern
  • Fairy card

My first problem came right at the beginning of my make! I drew out the pattern pieces on my fabric, without realising that I needed to leave a larger space around each section until a few steps later when it came to cutting out the pieces and the instructions said to allow a 1cm seam allowance around each bit. As I’d already embroidered the face by that point I couldn’t move that, but luckily there was enough fabric for me to redraw the other pattern pieces, so it wasn’t the end of the world!

I decided to draw my own face to embroider to make it more personal. I used the back of the pattern piece to draw my design so that I could ensure that the features were in the right place. The main thing I changed was the mouth to make it more smiley. The original design was a bit too pouty for me! There was also the option to embroider painted nails onto the fairy’s hands but I left them off; I didn’t feel like my fairy was the sort to paint her nails!

The next step was to create the bodice of the dress using a piece of the pink linen. The paper pattern for this part, the shoulders and the star were missing out of my kit, but Hannah, the lovely owner of MakeBox had emailed earlier in the month to say that some naughty elves had left some of the pattern pieces out when packing so she had emailed a printable version out to all the subscribers. The bodice was created with two layers of the linen stitched together and then turned inside out to create a neat neckline. This was then stitched to the body.

Once this was done it was then finally time to cut out the pattern pieces! I cut them out (with the 1cm seam allowance) and then stitched round each one using a running stitch and leaving the ends open. Then I had to turn them all right side out. That was when I felt like the fairy was really starting to come together. After stuffing each of the pieces I then sewed them together to create the doll. 

Then it was time to dress her. I created a skirt out of the rest of the pink linen, lined with two layers of tulle. The piece of tulle provided in the kit was slightly too short, which was a bit annoying, but I adjusted the length of the linen and it didn’t matter too much in the end as the skirt is made up of a lot of material in order to create the pleats. Once I had gathered the pleats around the waist of the fairy and sewed it in place I then used the glitter felt to make a belt to hide the seam. I also used the glitter felt to make the shoulders of her dress. Both of these were supposed to be stuck on with fabric glue, but unfortunately I could not get it to stick, even though I held it in place for ages. In the end I stitched them on, which I think will probably be more secure overall, especially as I’d like to keep her and use her in years to come each Christmas. 

Next came the bit I was looking forward to the most: the hair! I had to measure out twenty lengths of yarn and sew it onto the back of the head. Then I took each section round to the front and sewed that in place too. Lastly I created the bun. I played around a bit for the best way to style it and eventually used a thin hair band to get it to stay in place, which I hid with another length of yarn. The hair is definitely my favourite part of the fairy, although I wouldn’t say no to having a dress like her’s either! 

Lastly, the finishing touches. Sewing the sparkly wings to her back and making the wand. The star was again supposed to be glued to the stick, but it just wouldn’t hold for me so I whip stitched round the edge instead. I don’t think it looks too bad, especially once she’s on the tree.

Although I had a couple of little hiccups along the way it wasn’t anything that couldn’t be solved and overall this was such an enjoyable project to make a beautiful keepsake which can be used for years to come and even passed down to future generations.

I ran out of energy to embroider my fairy card, but I will definitely do it before Christmas. There was also a naming certificate for your fairy inside the box and in case you were wondering, I called my fairy Beatrix.

One thought on “Sugar Plum Fairy MakeBox

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s